Realistic self-care activities are affordable, don’t involve food, and will make you feel good about how you spent your time. You will be better able to tackle that “To-Do” list when you are feeling good. Here’s a list of my favorites. Many of these you can do with kids.
- Meditate – It’s a great way to quiet your mind and calm your body. There are plenty of free guided meditations online. Check out the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center website and the free version of the Headspace app. If you have kiddos, Cosmic Kids has a great children-focused mindfulness and meditation videos.
- Read – Even if you can’t get to your library, there are plenty of free ebooks on Amazon and Kern County library has a free online borrowing program. Reread some of your favorite books. Reading out loud to the little ones is great fun.
- Learn something Pick a topic for FUN. Locally, we have Levan Institute. For online learning check out Coursera, MIT or Harvard to start. Many classes can be taken with your children.
- Get Creative Whether its art, a painting, creating a bird house or a puzzle. Using your hands to make something can be relaxing. And, kids love creating with their hands.
- Listen to a Podcast I recently discovered Stitcher. There are tons of podcasts on so very many topics, including stories for children. You will not be disappointed.
- Practice Presence – Clear your mind and focus on the present moment. You will find yourself better able to fully experience life with a calmer mind and body. The children in your life can teach you how to fully focus on a game, story or conversation.
- Go into Nature – Nature has a way of replenishing the mind and body. Take a walk. Visit a park. Enjoy a local outdoor attraction. In Bakersfield we have, CALM Zoo, the Kern County Museum and Wind Wolves Preserve. Kids love the outdoors and will enjoy a break from the couch.
- Have a Home Spa Day – Nothing beats some pampering. Give yourself a face scrub and mask. A foot or hand polish and moisturizer. Or, body sugar scrub. You will enjoy the benefits for days to come. Your little ones will love the pampering too!
- Sleep – Put your pjs on and take a nap. Get to bed early or sleep in. Even 20 additional minutes of shut-eye will make a huge difference.
Counseling can help you find new self-care tools. If you are having a difficult time discovering how to help yourself feel better, give me a call. Let’s work together to find solutions so you can live a more fulfilling life.